On the first day of the program, you can explain the rules of the classroom economy as you would with any classroom management system.
- Gather student folders to be handed out at the start of class.
- Gather envelopes to be placed in the folders to hold the students' money.
- Display some of the items that will be sold at the school store.
- Customize the visual displays of your classroom rules, which will connect to the rewards and consequences for the students.
Welcome the students and introduce your class rules with the following key additions:
- Students earn $2 in classroom money each week for completing their jobs ($8 per month).
- Students earn an additional $1 as bonus money for good behavior.
- Students found misbehaving during the week will earn less money for their "salary."
- Students only earn $1 if they break one rule.
- Students earn nothing if they break two or more rules.
- Students pay $3 per month to rent their cubbies and seats.
- Students can purchase items from the school store with any money they have left after paying the monthly rent.
If you like to include your students in creating materials for class activities, feel free to have them help make your visual displays during class time, or after the opening day.
Some students at this age may have a difficult time understanding the concept of rent. An alternative way to present it is to charge $3 for the right to shop at the school store.